Is the QA Engineer career right for you?
Is QA Engineering a fit for you?
Are you interested in becoming a QA engineer? Not sure if the career is right for you?
I have created this assessment based on the qualities that I expect any QA Engineer I hire to poses. Take the quick, write down your responses, tally your score.
Note that this test is just for fun and should not be a sole driving factor in choosing your career.
- Have you ever taken apart something to learn more about how it works or how it is made?
- Do you enjoy finding mistakes in websites, movies, TV shows, or books?
- Do you give instructions by listing out exact steps?
- Are you a believer that the customer is the number one priority for businesses?
- When you find something is not working do you try to find a way to make it work that was not intended?
- Are you interested in learning about new technologies on a regular basis?
- Are you comfortable presenting to leadership?
- Do you often find yourself as the leader when working in teams?
- Do you enjoy writing technical documentation?
- Are you able to translate complex technical information to a non-technical person?
- Are you able to translate business requirements to a technical person?
- When something is not right and will hurt the customer experience are you comfortable with breaking the bad news to leadership?
- Do you look for ways to make repetitive tasks easier to accomplish?
- Are you comfortable with being the only person on your team with your specific job role?
- Are you willing to spend a lot of time outside of work to learn to code or how to work with a new tool or framework?
So the scoring is simple. All the “yes” answers you give are 1 point. Take the total and divide by 15.
80% or more: A career as a QA engineer is likely a great fit for you.
70% – 79%: A career as a QA might be ok for you, but you may have some areas where you need to work on for career growth.
69% or below: QA Engineering may not be quite right for you.
Did you get a passing grade?
It doesn’t matter if you aced the quiz or not. If you are interested in starting your career as a QA Engineer I recommend you start out with my course, the QA Guide to Web Application Testing for Beginners.